- Mythlore Costume – The last post. For now.
- Mythlore Costume – Finished!
- Mythlore Costume – Fixing a belt
- Mythlore Costume – Kimono Fail
- Mythlore Costume – Still to go
- Mythlore Costume – Base Layer Robes – Part II
- Mythlore Costume – Base Layer Robes
- Mythlore Costume – Battle Skirt
- Mythlore Costume – Texturing the robes
- Mythlore Costume – Using Blue in LRP costumes
- Mythlore Costume – Armour
- Mythlore Costume – Outer Cloak
- Mythlore Costume – First Ideas
- Mythlore Costume – Diablo 3
- Mythlore Costume – First Thoughts
- Dorne Armour Inspiration II
The leg armour has affectionately become known as the battle skirt.
Here’s something resembling a step-by-step of what I’ve done so far.
So first of all I draped the fabric on the stand so that I could just draw the pattern onto the fabric and cut directly on that. I’m using the calico for the middle layer anyway so there wouldn’t be any wastage. Initially I planned to make the battle skirt in just two pieces so I’ve pulled the fabric up over the hip to cut the waist in a curve so that I didn’t have to add darts to the quilted layers.
And here it is cut out… At this stage I decided to split each one down the side and create the skirt from four pieces instead of just two. Just in case it was a bit stiff and he struggled to sit down.
I worked up some samples with the double needle – I wasn’t sure how well it would quilt with the walking foot, but as you can see it appears to work just fine.
And so onto the actually quilting… *insert boring in progress shot*.
This is where it starts to get interesting. Well, I think it’s interesting anyway. Here’s one of the back sections of the skirt after it’s been quilted. You can really see the nice blue-grey colour of the fabric in this one too. My iPhone is not great at colour reproduction.
And then the really interesting bit happened. I started to add studs.
Those white lines are just the chalk marks where I lined everything up.
The back looks something like this at the moment, it will eventually go blue and neat.
But this is what the finished section looks like on the mannequin:
The drape of this ‘new’ fabric is just beautiful. It’s stiff, but not so still that it doesn’t still drape and move nicely.
In fact you can see that here in these pictures how different the sections are in various stages of assembly:
I had to take a break there and wait for more studs and more thread to arrive in the post. But now I have these things so I guess I will start again!